Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Church, A Tasting and A new apartment!

Phew...well I think I worked through my proposal video addiction. With the help of Molly, who told me to turn.off.the.computer!! Well, that and I think I've literally watched every single proposal video online there is to watch. Next...I'll move on to wedding bloopers or even toasts! The possibilities are really endless.

Last weekend, Chris and I went to look at 3 different churches. I was surprised by how easy it was to just walk in randomly in the afternoon, with nobody there, sit down and take it all in. It was very nice and welcoming in a way. I was waaaay impressed with all three churches and would be very happy getting married at any of them. We decided to start with Saint Gregory the Great in Bellerose because that's the parish that Chris belongs to, and therefore it would probably be easiest to get in there. The church had gorgeous stained glass windows, great high beamed ceiling and a long, glorious aisle to walk down! We have an appointment on Monday, Jan. 4th at 7:00 with Father Cunningham!!

The snow ruined some wedding festivities we had planned with our parents this past weekend. We had a food tasting scheduled at Sandcastle with both sets of parents as well as each of our siblings. Unfortunately, the Pennsylvanians couldn't come to New York, but we still went ahead with our plans (i.e. moving and the tasting) I am going to schedule another tasting with my parents in the Spring when there is no threat of snow!

I'm really bummed my family couldn't be there, but I also have to say that the tasting was really, really nice and I am glad that we still went ahead with it. Sandcastle was all decorated for the Holidays and it was sooooo pretty! It almost made me want to have a winter wedding. Almost. Then I realized we were getting 11 inches of snow that very night and was quickly reminded why May was the month for me! When we arrived at Sandcastle, they had a private table set up in one of the bridal suites with two bottles of wine ready for us. However, first we took a tour around the place to show Chris's brother (he's never been there) and also to see the new veranda that was just added to the cocktail hour room. I was really anxious and excited to see the completed project. It was so pretty and I think it seriously adds so much to the place. The outside bar is gorgeous and in the warmer months has a waterfall running behind the bartender. It was also equally exciting to have Chris's brother stamp of approval, because he really liked the place and really liked the food. So onto the food...we ate SO MUCH FOOD! They brought a huge platter of 6 different main course meats:

Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb
Pan Seared Atlantic Salmon
Pan Seared Porterhouse Pork Chop
Grilled Filet Mignon
Sliced Oven Roasted Breast of Chicken
Jumbo Gulf Shrimp Orgenata

My favorites were the Grilled Filet Mignon and the Salmon. OH THE SALMON!! It was so amazing. Then we had little pastry puffs for dessert and were full for the rest of the night. I was glad that I arrived starving! It was all very exciting and just one more thing to get me revved up for the wedding.....only one year and 5 months! haha.

Also, Sandcastle has updated their website and it is SO much better than their old site. I have a few small complaints about this one, (like..the pictures don't even seem to be loading right now!) But, when it's a working, functionign website I think it represents the place much better than before. Plus, it has updated pictures with the new outside patio they built and it's so beautiful! New Sandcastle Website

Finally....I'm about 90% officially settled into my new apartment at Chris's! We got all my big stuff over there this weekend...I drove a u-haul all by myself, and we had to rush because of the impending snowstorm. I'm so grateful that Chris, his dad and brother were able to help me, in lieu of my parents not being able to come to New York. We still have a LOT of organizing to do, but I know it will get there all in due time. I also have so much still to do at my Astoria apartment. I'm currently sleeping on an air mattress in the living room! It's kind of fun in an "I'm camping" sort of way, but that won't last too long.

My next step: Picking a Band or a DJ! (I've decided to do this before picking my photographer) So stay tuned for how that comes along as well as hearing how contrary to Chris's request...we will NOT be having the Bruce Springsteen Tribute Band "The B-Street Band" be the band we chose. I'm also going dress shopping again on Saturday so I'm sure I'll have lots to tell you about next week.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: